Canada ELD – Things you need to know
Considering selling the ELD solution in Canada?
Here are some important things you need to know about entering ELD in Canada:
When is the ELD Mandate in Canada taking effect? Transport Canada announced the final ELD mandate to take effect in 2021. According to Truck Info, Transport Canada has calculated that mandatory ELDs will reduce the risk of fatigue-related collisions by about 10%, while also reducing administrative burdens such as the need for paper daily logs and the time enforcement officers need to verify compliance.
Who is not affected by the mandate? According to the Transport Canada HOS regulations, the exception from the rules applies to the commercial vehicles that are:
(a) Operated by a motor carrier under a permit;
(b) Operated by a motor carrier to which an exemption has been issued under the regt;
(c) The subject of a rental agreement of no longer than 30 days that is not an extended or renewed rental of the same vehicle; or
(d) Manufactured before the model year 2000.
Who will certify the ELD solutions? Unlike the US, Transport Canada requires third-party certification to help ensure the devices are not prone to tampering. So far there is only one accredited agency to certify electronic logging devices (ELDs) as Canada prepares to mandate the technology.
What should be the next steps for the ELD reseller in Canada?
- Start talking to your ELD solution provider and find out where they are in the certification process. If your provider has no plans to enter the Canadian ELD market, reach out to other reliable ELD providers, such as assured Techmatics.
- Get free trials with the 2-3 leading ELD solutions and compare them using several criteria.
- Ask questions and provide feedback to the ELD solution provider about the ELD hardware that is the most reliable and cost-effective.
- Start talking to your Canadian trucking clients and fleet managers to learn their perspective about the ELD in Canada.
- Educate your trucking customers and leads about the coming ELD mandate and make sure to stay in contact with them.
What are the essential ELD solution features? When choosing the ELD solution, remember the following essential features:
- Ease of use and driver-friendly Hours of Service (HOS) compliance tool;
- DVIR and IFTA reporting;
- Engine diagnostics reporting
- Fuel and gas usage tracking
- Monitoring driver’s safety.
The ELD mandate in Canada is believed will encourage the practices of smooth transportation. Talk to us at assured Techmatics about the ELD solutions in Canada and learn more about ways to partner and succeed together!