ELD in Canada 2021 What do We Know so Far
Without a doubt, 2021 is a big year for the Canadian ELD market. The ELD Mandate is expected to take effect on June 12, 2021. There is still a lot of uncertainty about the certification process and the timeline, however, the situation is getting clearer as the deadline approaches.
What do we know so far:
- Unlike the US, where the ELD providers can self-certify the devices, Transport Canada requires third-party certification to ensure that ELD solutions meet all the technical standards to provide quality service to drivers.
- There is only one accredited company that can certify the ELD solutions – a non-profit R&D company – FP Innovations, based in Quebec.
- The certified ELD solution is defined as a bundle, which consists of 1 type of hardware, integrated the ELD software, working on 1 type of operating system (iOS or Android).
- Any change in the originally certified mix leads to the reassessment and re-certification.
- There is annual surveillance that covers 25% of the original testing procedures.
- The certification process might take from 6 to 8 weeks.
If you are considering to re-sell Canadian ELD services, here are some tips that are important to bear in mind:
- Ask your ELD provider if they are planning to get their ELD solution certified. The certification is a lengthy and tiresome process, so your ELD provider should be prepared for the time and effort-consuming testing procedures.
- Make sure that your ELD provider chooses the hardware that is reliable and meets all the technical requirements. If the hardware is different from what you use currently, request a sample of the device, and start testing it in advance.
- If your ELD provider is not going to get their ELD certified in Canada, start making research and reaching out to those who are planning to enter the Canadian ELD market in summer 2021. Check with them how far they are in the process get certified.
- Choose a reliable and trustworthy ELD partner who has been an established player in the industry with a proven track record of success.
Assured Techmatics is a client-oriented Fleet Optimization Software Company. We value the feedback from our partners and closely watch the industry trends. Our team works hard to deliver the best UI experience to fleet managers and drivers. We’ll be happy to provide the best ELD service to you and your customers. We’ll see you in Canada in 2021!